Saturday, September 20, 2008

The tree

My grandmother was a little italian lady standing about 4''11" so when I say little I mean it. Her hair was pure white and long not that anyone ever actually saw her hair it was always in a bun at the nape of her neck. Her hands always looked tired as did her face, she was very olive with big dark brown eyes. Never worked outside of her home, and raised 7 children. When we would visit she would kiss my entire face starting at my forehead and worked her away around, I always felt so loved when I was with her. And cook, oh my, the woman could cook, her dinners were incredible! When John was born (my first born) she told me a story, she said, "Grandmom (that's what she called me) children are like trees, when you plant a new tree you can bend it and get it to grow anyway you want, but once the tree is grown it is unmoveable. Bend him in the right direction and remember you don't have much time".
People, don't wait until your child is five or six it will be too late. Teach early, experts over the past 10-15 years tell us consistenly that children from one to five yrs of age are like little sponges absorbing everything they see and hear and are taught. Take this thought with you today, Proverbs 22:6 - "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old he will not depart from it."

1 comment:

NMB said...

I really enjoyed reading this today. I love the "tree" theory!! Keep up the great work... your wisdom will touch so many lives! With love, nmb