Tuesday, October 7, 2008

surprise ending

I said a few blogs ago I would address "training" again. Here goes... some helpful training tips, and this blog has a surprise ending.



1. A well-behaved, well socialized child learns lots of class and diplomacy from early training.

2. Training lays the foundation for learning that will serve him and you for the rest of his/her life.

3. There are resources for you before unwelcome and inappropriate behaviors.

4. Wait before exposing child to high risk population. It should be a controlled setting with other healthy children where the risk is quite low.

5. Handle child gently, no strong verbal reprimands.

6. Environment promotes calmness



If you've been reading my blogs...you'll remember me saying the first 3 weeks of a baby's life is mostly sleeping and at 3 weeks it all ends. Read on...



7. First three weeks a baby's activities consist primarily of eating and sleeping. This is the neonatal, or newborn, period. It seems not much is going on in the brain but early neurological stimulating exercises, such as holding them, turning them over and exposing them to minor temperature changes can benefit. At three weeks of age they show significant improvement in their ability to learn.

8. Children need exposure to many things, household sounds such as blenders, vacuum cleaners - anything they might need to deal with on a regular basis for the rest of their lives.

9. Children are tiny, fragile, and vulnerable, but this doesn't make them any less interested in living. Their natural curiosity can border on reckless, which means child proofing your humble abode from the ground up. Hazards like electrical cords, medications, houseplants, and cleaning products should be stored out of reach.



I can go on and on and on but enough with the tips, everyone of the above tips were taken from a DOG magazine "Yorkshire Terrier Puppy's". 129 pages of how to train and take care of a new puppy. Thus...the surprise ending. All I did was replace the word puppy with the word child or baby. Am I comparing a puppy to a baby. Of course not. Just trying to make a point here. If I were to bring a puppy home and didn't take the time to get him on a feeding schedule, teach him to potty outdoors, not to bite, when to sleep, etc., what would I have? A puppy that would grow into a selfish, spoiled, adult dog that even his owner would have a hard time loving. No different with a child. Some of you might take offense of the puppy/child comparison but I truly am only trying to show you how important it is to train your children. "Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it." Proverbs 22:6. If the world has enough sense to publish a magazine with 129 pages of puppy training how much more do parents need advice on raising a baby. Maybe 50% of you are educating yourselves and reading but I know for a fact by the misbehaved children I see and hear the OTHER 50% are not. And there is no excuse, you work, you're tired, laundry, cooking, whatever. Invest your time into finding out how to raise a child. We have training for everything. This country spends millions of dollars on athletics, children at 8 yrs of age have personal trainers and yet these very same children rarely say, please or thank you. Help me here people, go buy the book Dare to Discipline by James Dobson. Trust me I am talking from experience the mistakes I made were many, just trying to save you from the same. I have been a mother for 37 years, I know what I'm talking about. I always thought children outgrow negative behavior, guess what, they don't. e.g. if you don't potty train a child they'll be pooping in their pants when their 10! It's the training that stops this from happening. Just like manners they don't come naturally. Putting their toys away there's nothing natural about it, they have to be taught. I'm tired now going to bed. Ciao (chow)

3 comments:

All Things Beautiful said...

you are so funny! What you are saying is so true. Trainging and love go hand-in-hand...just like a puppy!

Katy said...

This is true. I'm a mother of 3...5,3 and 1. They do need training, you are correct.

Katy said...

Ok, I've been reading on and on and on throughout your blog. You've got my attention for sure. It's funny....you make so many comments that are very obvious to me, but there are (unfortunately) mommies and daddies out there that are clueless when it comes to babies/children. Like the lack of socks or shoes on babies. Duh, if we're cold they are as well. Thank you for pointing out some obvious reminders....you sound like my mom (which is great).